Fall 2020 CARES 2.0 Stipend Applications are Now Closed.
The application deadline was October 31, 2020. For updates on application processing please see below.
FALL 2020 CARES 2.0 UPDATES
Requesting a Re-issue of your Stipend:
If it has been at least 30 days since you have received your stipend amount via email and you have not received your check please submit a re-issue check request by following the link below.
The link will take you to a google form where you will submit your contact information. You only need to complete this form once. After you submit the form, you will receive a confirmation email and the Children’s Council finance team will follow-up on your request within two business days.
What is CARES 2.0?
The Compensation and Retention Early Educator Stipend (CARES 2.0) was created in partnership with First 5 San Francisco to support early educators in San Francisco.
The Office of Early Care and Education is set to distribute $30 million between 2019-2021 to educators employed at city-funded licensed family child care and center-based programs in San Francisco. The first distribution took place in the Fall of 2019 and educators can now apply for the second distribution.
A series of community roundtables and workgroup sessions with early educators and community stakeholders helped identify eligibility criteria and guidelines for CARES 2.0, ensuring that:
- Stipends are distributed twice a year
- Equal stipend amounts are awarded to all recipients
- Eligible educators work directly with children for at least 20 hours a week
Who is eligible?
CARES 2.0 eligibility criteria has been updated to respond to different needs and circumstances during this time. Many programs have adjusted their services to respond to the Covid-19 crisis. In an effort to stay true to the original intent of the stipend, which is compensating and retaining teachers, we hope that these temporary updates will continue to support and value early educators working directly with young children.
To be considered eligible for the Fall 2020 CARES 2.0 stipend you must be employed by an eligible Early Learning Scholarship (ELS) or Preschool for All (PFA) program that is currently operational.
- For returning applicants:
You will be approved for the Fall 2020 stipend as long as your employment is being maintained by an eligible program and your employer can verify that you will be returning to the classroom when it is safe to do so. This includes educators who are currently being furloughed, on leave, or being utilized in a different capacity due to ratio limitations.
- For new applicants
You must be working with children (virtually or in-person) for at least 20 hours a week and will need to submit a W-9 form for payment.
All programs eligible for CARES 2.0
How to Apply
Step-by-Step Guide for applying to CARES 2.0
W-9 Form Guide
- Login to the CA ECE Workforce Registry and submit a CARES 2.0 Application (Please take time to review the application guide for step-by-step instructions)
- After the application is submitted a verification email will be sent to the applicant and a CARES 2.0 team member will review the application information and verify employment and eligibility
- An approval or denial email will be sent based on the employer’s verification
- If approved, we will verify that all W-9 information is on file, matches the registry information, and will send an approval email with stipend amount
- Once the stipend check is printed and sent we will send a paid email notifying the applicant that their check is on the way.
Support & Resources
For questions or support with creating a California ECE Workforce Registry Account please contact the Help Desk at Children’s Council.
Help Desk Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Help Desk Phone: 415-343-4669*
*Currently both the OECE-CARES and Children’s Council numbers are functioning as voicemail boxes and are being checked regularly.
Financial Adviser Resources