OECE’s work is grounded in the belief that all families have the right to thrive. We strongly support San Francisco’s status as a sanctuary city and wholeheartedly endorse the Mayor and Mayor-elect’s joint statement, calling upon United States Attorney General Jeff Sessions to immediately stop separating families at the Mexican border as an anti-immigration policy.
Mayor Mark Farrell:
“As a father of three young children I will never support the federal administration’s decision to tear apart families and use children as pawns in a political game. The images we are seeing of children warehoused in metal cages are beyond the pale and sickens me to my core.
What we are witnessing runs completely counter to our country’s values and founding principles. I am urging the federal government to immediately reconsider their immigration policy changes and provide clear, humane reunification plans. More than ever, we need Congress to move forward with comprehensive immigration reform measures for our country.
Board President and Mayor-Elect London Breed:
“The policy of forcibly removing children from their parents at our border is horrific and unacceptable.
Families who are seeking asylum and refuge in our city—our Sanctuary City, deserve our support and our compassion. As Mayor-Elect, I will continue to support our immigrant communities and fight for comprehensive immigration reform so all our families can live without fear of separation and deportation.”
Immigration related resources:
- For legal resources visit the San Francisco Immigrant Support Hub
- Fact sheet for families and school staff: Limitations on Immigration Enforcement Actions at Sensitive Locations
- Know your rights card for use with Immigration and Customs Enforcement Officers (ICE)
- Immigrant and Refugee Children: A Guide for Educators and Support Staff to protect and prepare children and families in case of an immigration and ICE raid.
- Building a Bright Future for All a resource guide to help educators better serve immigrant children, promote early learning opportunities, and share resources with families.
- 5 expert-approved tips for talking to your kids about the families being separated at the border
- Our Family Coalition
- Instituto Familiar de la Raza
- Carecen SF Central American Resource Center
- Safe and Sound